Friday, August 1, 2008

The Long and Winding Road

Well, today we made the long drive to Hana. Even though I've done it twice before, it all seemed very new (and very windy) even so. We had planned to see a variety of waterfalls and other important locations told to us by Maui Revealed. Apparently some things have changed. The highlights were Wainapanapa State park, where we saw some cool lava tubes and the black sand beach. We saw a guy drying several hundred pounds of marlin on the hot lava rocks. That was pretty cool.

Hana is an amazing small town, actually quite a bit bigger than I remembered. Some amazingly cool homes. Word has it that Opra lives here but who cares:) It would be a cool place to live for awhile. We made it to Oheo Gulch, sometimes called the 7 Sacred Pools, but they have never been sacred. The name was invented by the owner of the Hana Hotel in the 50s because he thought tourists would find it more appealing then it's real name. The pools were a fun swim but didn't beat the amazing ocean here.

By the way, there will be some of our best pictures coming later after I download from my SLR. I forgot the card reader so can only get pics from my little instant camera. The underwater ones will also need to be scanned in when we get home.

Also, just to make things interesting here, it's Shark Week on Discovery Channel. Can't wait to get back in the water.

5 comments:

Val said...

I love reading your blog...I've been home for a week and I think it's about time to come back! Thanks for letting me 'extend' my Maui time through you guys!
-Val

Heather said...

ARE YOU CRAZY???

Turn the channel... I watched it for 10 minutes last year and it freaked me out each time I was on the edge contemplating jumping in forever after. It takes 365 days for the nightmares to pass.

DO NOT WATCH SHARK WEEK!!!

Grant said...

hey Val,

Thanks for the encouragement. Wish you were still here. There was a sense of safety having you on the island, in case I lost my keys or something.

Heather,

I avoided letting kids see it at first but they (Isaac) is totally into it and no shark fear. Probably because the water's so clear.

Sent the nasty email.

Marilyn said...

Okay, I am a bit jealous, quite a bit. Sounds like so much fun over there. Next summer we all go.

The weakest link.

Suzette said...

I've loved reading the blog and seeing the pics . . . I tried accessing the blog while we were in Mexico but it didn't work . . . anyhow so glad that you are having a great time. Praying for safe travel home!! Can't wait to connect over wine:)

Beach Hot Tub

Beach Hot Tub

At Kaanapali Beach

At Kaanapali Beach

Our Beach

Our Beach

Future Pilots

Future Pilots

At the Airport

At the Airport